When using the time-saving protocol by Stephen Covey, the question “Does the coach enjoy this task?” is NOT one you should ask yourself.
- Are there items that can be removed from the coach’s plate altogether?
- Does this task need to be completed right away?
- Does this task need to be completed by the coach?
- Is there someone else who can do this task instead of the coach?
- Does the coach enjoy this task?
The correct answer is: Does the coach enjoy this task?
Explanation: Stephen Covey’s protocol focuses on assessing the urgency, importance, and delegation potential of tasks, rather than personal enjoyment. It involves asking whether a task needs immediate completion, if it must be done by the coach specifically, if someone else can take over the task, and whether some tasks can be eliminated altogether. The protocol is designed to streamline a coach’s schedule, focusing on efficiency and prioritization, not on personal preferences or enjoyment.
Read more here: Chapter 26: Protecting Coaching Time